Saturday 7 September 2013

Starting Simon

This lovely book has been bedside reading for a while - Promenade in a Dutch Garden.  I just love the antique Dutch quilts and the lovely reproductions made by Petra Prins and An Moonen . 


"Simon" is my new quilt project from the book . It looks like the name was chosen because the original antique quilt (below) is in the collection of a man called Simon van Gijn. A good quilt name - Simon - short and sweet.

According to the book this is a very early patchwork coverlet from the Netherlands and is made from Indian chintz and printed European cottons - wonderful fabrics and wonderful colours! Hard to believe it was made in 1775-1800 as the colours don't look faded at all.

After a lot of close squinting at the fabrics on the book  photo I decided the quilt was exactly suited to make use of some treasures from The Stash - some India chintz, a few Smithsonians, some Dutch chintz remnants (from making my Burnt quilt), and a few other oldies: 

The other thing I love about this quilt is that I can make it with English Paper Piecing and applique - my two favourite techniques. Of course it could be hand or machine pieced other ways too - does not look like it is a difficult pattern (famous last words??).

Starting with the centre star I prepared the pattern with some copying and cut and paste. I also made foundation papers just for the centre rosette as it looks like a tricky centre point to piece. 

Not a good photo below but that is my lovely new Light Pad in action - ready to copy the pattern onto the back of the chintz background fabric: 


Below is the star getting needle turn appliqued (using back-basting prep):

11 inch square centre block


Here are some pictures showing the foundation piecing for the centre rosette. All done by hand as my machine is off on much-deserved holiday (service time). Once the two halves were stitched together I removed the backing paper and then appliqued it down onto the block.


I cut out a lot of triangles in thin card to use as 'papers' for the EPP Hourglass blocks. It was great fun cutting fabrics and covering papers and there will be a lot more of that to come. 
I have just won a lovely giveaway from Kyle at Timeless Reflections blog. One of the fabric fat quarters is in this picture -  perfect to use for this project - thanks so much Kyle!


So here is progress so far - the centre star and a row of Hourglass blocks. 




I do have another quilt that is ever so slowly progressing in the planning stages - no pattern for this one hence the slowness! You can't rush the research eh?
I am sure you won't recall the end of this post back in November 2012 .... when I showed a photo of starting planning a "future project" - a medallion quilt around a chintz panel. This was it in November: 


Bits and pieces of fabric, books, photocopies etc have been added as I got some inspiration. So now the design collection looks like this:


Things could be lost for ever and ever in that pile so I really must get a start on this one! 

And now for some cushions. What do you think of this for a starting intro-to-quilting-and-sewing project? I am teaching my good friend Angela how to do patchwork - big responsibility as I don't want to frighten her off. We started on these cushions. She's never done rotary cutting, measuring or piecing so it is right back to basics. We're both thrilled how well they turned out.  Next is a log cabin quilt...very large strips in  simple 18inch log cabin blocks. Wish me luck!


26 comments:

  1. your Simon quilt is coming along wonderfully and i have no doubt that you are going to work your very own quilting magic on it and it will be an heirloom finish~!!!~

    thank you for the inspired feeling i always get when i visit your blog.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Petra at the show in Nantes in April, and her display was lovely. You have a perfect stash for the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be lovely to revisit some of your old favourite fabrics in this new project. All that piecing and appliqué does sound like hours of happy stitching. Looks like you have a promising student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just lovely. I have been looking through the same book trying to decide if one of those quilts will be my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful start. Your Carolina lily is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chintz fabrics you have are wonderful. I'm definitely going to have to add some of those into my collection. It's really what captures the essence of Petra's patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that a John Hewson chintz panel I spy?? So lovely!! And watching your Simon quilt take shape is wonderful - love back basting for applique. Everything ends up where it is supposed to. Glorious fabrics you have chosen - and thank you for sharing such clear photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drooling here! Simon is going to be yet another stunner and I expect I'll be saying the same thing about your Chintz medallion quilt.

    The pillows are so fresh and a perfect first project. I think log cabin blocks are an excellent choice for a first quilt especially if they are scrappy because it makes each block different and interesting. And it's straight line sewing. If your tutorials are any indication I am sure that you are an excellent teacher and Angela is very lucky to have you. I hope you'll post pictures of her log cabin blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely use of those old Smithsonian and Shelburne Museum fabrics as well as few other oldies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You go from one amazing project to another amazing project! I love seeing your process pictures and your center looks marvelous!! Such great fabrics you are using. You must be a good teacher - the pillows look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love dutch antique quilts too! A few years ago I made one to go on my mini wall. Love the fabrics you are using. I am trying EPP again now that I have learned the ladder stitch, it will be a great traveling project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Simon Quilt will be wonderful. I had the great fortune to go and do a two day class with Petra Prins and as an added bonus the quilts from that book were there for close inspection and they really are beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've chosen wonderful fabric for Simon. And this book is amazing, I love all the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful quilt started! I've made a few of Petra's projects and have enjoyed each one. I have the panels Margo did and have yet to start - - they are on the design wall with some fabrics pulled. Looking forward to seeing wht you com up with. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think starting Angela out on the pillows instead of Simon was very wise! lol I'm sure she will be up to more difficult projects very soon though.
    I look forward to seeing your progress on both quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That quilt is worth making for the name alone, well, and the fact you'll get to use all of those gorgeous fabrics!!! I always learn new tricks when you show how you make your quilts. I can't imagine you frightening anyone away from patchwork. Angela's cushions are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so enjoy coming to your blog and seeing what you're working on next! This quilt is fabulous. Such a great use of fabrics. The pillows look a wonderful starter project--something to feel accomplished with and dream about the next set.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the fabrics you are using for Simon. It's very interesting to see how you have foundation pieced by hand so I have a few questions :) Was it difficult to remove the paper? What type of paper did you use? What type of stitch did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wat prachtig jou simon .. ga toch eens kijken of ik dat boek hier kan vinden bij petra prins.

    heb wel die van DI Ford ook zo,n mooi boek,


    christine

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will have to watch for that book to come to the US - I know with shipping the cost will be doubled! love the quilt that you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you have a Dutch background that you love these Dutch quilts so much? I see you use the Den Haan & Wagenmaker fabrics. Love the finished Carolina Lily quilt! What a beauty it is!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sitting here drooling - and a bit poorer. I have also ordered the book!
    May I ask where you buy your chintz fabrics? I love what you are doing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your chintz quilt looks like it is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your rendition of the Simon quilt--what size hour-glass blocks did you use?

    ReplyDelete