Saturday 5 April 2014

Clamshell capers

Since I discovered clamshell patchwork last year I have been rather obsessed with them ...and seem to have stitched them at every chance!

This was a first-attempt project last year - appliqued using Sue Daley's paper piecing method - with much reference to the Youtube video in the link.  Starting with this:

Clamshells stitched together
It became this,  using Sue's pattern


Since then I have made a clamshell gift pouch for my sister in March, adapting a great tutorial on Janet's blog "Quiltsallott" (thanks Janet!) Starting with a panel of appliqued clamshells, quilted and cut into this shape:

And added binding and zipper to become this:

Still found myself channeling clamshells last month - and made the same pouch for a friend's April birthday. I decided to use some squares of French souleiado that I thought might be her colours. 


Clamshells over papers

Applique row by row


Meanwhile ...I don't know if you remember all the clamshells I made at the end of last year  - to add to the design of my medallion quilt. Here are some pics from previous posts:




Top finished in January
Well, I have got this sandwiched and pinned on the floor ...

...and am quilting it - machine quilting on my domestic machine. I would dearly love to have it hand quilted but my arthritis does not allow this. I want to achieve as close as possible to a hand quilted vintage look so we'll see how it goes.

Quilting in the ditch around all the hand applique:


And now ...I am quilting around the clamshells:


I wonder if I might soon be "over clamshells". Hope not too soon because there is still a rather large border of clamshells to be added to my Ann Randoll quilt in the nearish future - hah! 

31 comments:

  1. I love your clamshells - it reminds me that I have a packet of papers to make some and I have not done so. They would make a lovely bag as you have that could be for makeup/comb ect to keep my stuff together in the camper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clam shells are lovely. Very impressed with your quilt! Also love the little pouches you have made, particularly the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding! Colors, design, just beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.My.Word!! Your quilt is beautiful. Are you ditching around the appliqué with a free motion foot? What kind of thread? This is my goal, to machine quilt to look like traditional hand quilting on my domestic. You are truly an amazing quilt maker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is just dreamy. I am totally in love with it! So fun to see all your clamshells too. They are definitely on my 'some day' list.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little clamshell bags! Thank you very much for the link to the video. I have a clamshell block to make in my quilt and I had no idea how it is done. Exactly what I needed!
    Your medallion quilt is outstanding!!! I love the colours you have used. Have lots of fun quilting her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clamshells are so pretty!! All of them :0) The pouches turned out beautifully! Your machine quilting is always lovely. I'm so impressed with all you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely clamshells, and those pouches are very cute. Clamshells and zipper bags....a great combination! Your quilt is beautiful and I'm sure your quilting will be the perfect finishing touch. Don't be disappointed about the hand quilting, we can only do what we can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is amazing, absolutely Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clamshell queen that's what you are. I love the soft colour palette you have used.

    Your quilt is another masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Love all of these clamshell projects... especially the medallion quilt! You may have just enlisted another clamshell fanatic... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the little bags you made with clamshells and you know I absolutely adore your quilts! What a wonderful inspirational post. Thanks for links - I'm off to have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little pouches are beautiful and your Medallion quilt is spectacular!
    I love clamshells and yours are all so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All your clamshell works looks fantastic.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really enjoying my current EPP quilt, I am going to have to puck up a packet of clamshell papers and give them a try. Great little projects for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only got as far as cutting my clamshells out, I was thinking of appliquing them rather than epp.
    Love the pouch with the stripe top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilts and bags made with the clams shells are so lovely. I'm always fascinated by your color and fabric choices. I bet you'll be doing more throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your adventures with clamshells. They look wonderful as pouches. And your quilt is magnificent!!! You always do such a wonderful quilting job on your machine. Is there any chance you'll be showing this beauty at the Darling Harbour Show? I'd love to see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those clams!! Your Sue Daley sewing keep is made from such pretty Spring colors. And you did your snap closure unlike me who totally forgot to add it before finishing. I will have to come up with something...
    It is a nice size carry all for notions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning quilt, and the little pouches are too sweet! Gorgeous work, thanks for sharing...and inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look fabulous!! I do love the little bags -so cute! Enjoy your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love those little clamshell pouches.
    I think that the domestic machine quilting is a major achievement too. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quilt. The little clam shell bag is just too cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing Hilda! Those bags are so sweet!! And of course, the quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just found your blog ~ my goodness! Your work is so lovely!! What thread do you use for your EPP?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for adding a link to Sue's video on clamshells. I am not so intimidated now. And a special thank you for posting such large, clear photos of your work. It is such a pleasure to see your progress and be able to see the detail and precision of your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful work, your quilt is amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing the blog so well and I hope you have something new for me to study.
    Play game slot

    ReplyDelete