Monday 15 April 2013

"In the Time of Toile" quilt finished

Found a spot for it on the wall...


I have been quite heavy with the machine quilting as this quilt is for hanging. My thinking is that it does not need to be soft and puffy (like my Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses ) . I also wanted to add interest and another dimension with some geometric quilting.

Here are some photos taken in a different light to show up the quilting:






None of the quilting lines were marked on the quilt - just followed seam lines or free-motion stippled. But I wanted to make especially sure the lines on the Toile triangles (above ) were evenly spaced. I am not a fan of markers because I have made a mess of them before. So I thought I'd try a method I'd read about - using lines drawn on thin foundation piecing (or greaseproof) paper and sewing over it - seemed ingenious!?
                        Here goes...

Freezer paper cut to shape, lines drawn on, and pinned to quilt 

Machine stitched through quilt along lines using walking foot

Tearing off the paper to reveal lovely lines
All in all it went really well and I'd do it again. The tearing off is not too fiddly with straight lines. I'd be a little wary using it on a large area as the walking foot does not grab the top layer of fabric so there could be some movement (ie, puckering alert).

Thanks so much to Sue 's generosity with this kit. It was a great little challenge and lots of fun!

Here's a touch of autumn in the garden - the weather here has been just perfect recently.

Leaves on my Dogwood tree
And now ... I hear a new project calling... Carolina Lily (see end of the post in this link) starting soon ...so exciting!

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a stunning finish! I love the fabrics you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous quilt. This will make you smile every time you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what it would be like tearing off the freezer paper but you have answered my question. I would not have thought about slippage. What would it be like if you ironed the freezer paper to the piece instead of pinning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fab and so pleased you won it. It had been lanquishing in my cupboard since 2007 and I'm happy to see it finished .
    I was thinking that it has been almost round the world. Bought in Vermont, then home to the UK and then sent to Australia. It has so many miles on it's clock. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out beautifully!! Your quilting is perfection! I can't wait to see your early progress on your new project :0) A lovely fall picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love how your stitching added so much texture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it turned out so lovely! You have a real treasure there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilting is perfect for you wall hanging! Love the way this turned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful quilt! Your quilting suits it perfectly. Thanks for the freezer paper trick, I'd never thought of using it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's amazing how quickly you completed this quilt from start to finish - it's beautiful. I love the way you have quilted it -congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the centre of your new quilt! The autumn leaves are beautiful too... This is the best time of the year here in the southern hemisphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Hilda! Your quilting really does justice to this lovely design. Love the toile fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your quilt - well worth the time and care you took with it. A favourite fabric range too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic and the quilting really enhances this quilts beauty!! I would also recommend a Hera marker for straight lines. It isn't a marker at all, but makes indents in the fabric. I love mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has come out very beautiful, Hilda! I can't believe you have done it that quickly! It will look lovely as a hanging.

    ReplyDelete