Tuesday 30 September 2014

Creating corners

Time for a last bit of drafting for my version of the Ann Randoll coverlet - the corner blocks of the hexagon border. The best picture I have of the original is a page in a book (Quilts 1700-1945):

There's Ann's corner block ... a ring of hearts

And here is my drafted version (8 inch block)...
One block appliqued, three more to go. 

Benjamin Biggs - I've just finished Block 9. The next one is due any day so that was a close call getting finished this month. 

I had a lovely day of sewing with a friend yesterday and these are what we made:
They are "pop-out purses" , pattern bought from Studio Mio at the Sydney Quilt show. We had a bit of a learning curve sewing on the zippers but all worth it. There is a metal D frame that pops open when you unzip - so clever. 

There's been a lot of getting out in the garden in the glorious Spring weather.... and before the heat of Summer hits.


My 20 year old son came home for a week and after a quick venture into the garden paid me the enormous compliment of saying "you're keeping everything very alive out there!" He's no gardener so I'm lucky he noticed ... I guess ...hehe.

Here he is with my daughter and her fiance having fun in a photo booth. That "booth" was a great idea - at my niece's Sydney garden wedding - just a pretty screen for a backdrop and a picture frame hung in front, with a basket of props to select from. The best ideas are so often the simplest?!



23 comments:

  1. I love your corner blocks, and your garden is fantastic! It's so much work.....so nice your son noticed! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilda your garden is beautiful!! So is your ring of hearts block! Your applique is perfection. I like the fussy cut "centers" in your BB block flowers :0) A very pretty block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the quilt, the gardens and the photo at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your corner blocks are wonderful. I've got roses flowering already. I hope they last through the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your corner block doesn't look like it was an easy lesson in geometry. It looks lovely. Don't kids say the sweetest things no matter what their age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice drafting job Hilda. Love those hellebores too. My favourite flower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your making real progress on the coverlet. Love how you fussy cut the flowers on your Benjamin Biggs block! What a gorgeous garden and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your garden is amazing, wow. love the block for the coverlet, thats going to be an amazing quilt.
    the red fabric you used in the BB block is just fun, perfect scale
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you are doing with the quilt. The corner block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love watching your progress on this quilt, and drafting your own patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your corner block is perfect. That tiny saw tooth border must have been a challenge. Your garden is lovely.....as meticulous as your patchwork. Fun family photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun photo booth! very cute and different.
    gorgeous gardens.
    I love the heart block, it will look great in the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The heart block is perfect, your drafting skills are nice. I would be stitching and drinking coffee every day in your beautiful gardens, very peaceful and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea for photos! I love all your stitching--so beautiful, as are your gardens. We are approaching Autumn here, so the leaves are turning and things are winding down in the garden--it's nice to see some green!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those corner blocks! They look perfect for your quilt. I keep looking at those little pointy border triangles and I can see I'll have to use them in a quilt someday. Love how it's all coming together.:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How much fun is that photo booth??!! Clever drafting skills Hilda, and the resulting block looks gorgeous. Very cute sewing bags!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Benjamin Biggs block is lovely, so is the block you drawn and made... beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the first time I have read your blog and what an interesting quilt you are undertaking and such a great garden to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden looks like a park! Beautiful. I agree, sometimes simple wedding activities are the most fun and allow time to really interact with guests. Love your corner block, but then I love detail :-)
    Fun Friendship fabric on your BB block.
    How nice to sew with a friend and make a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice job drafting the corner blocks!!
    I'm done with BB quilt, but your block looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden is quite lovely and as the mom of three sons I DO understand that if they notice anything ( aside from what you've cooked on the stove or what's in the fridge ) it is a huge deal! :)

    As to your blocks I come here for inspiration...just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've done a brilliant job of drafting and sewing the corner heart blocks. Love the BB blocks, whenever I see yours it just makes me want to make a red & green quilt. Your garden makes me think of Monet's paintings ( and his garden in France).

    ReplyDelete
  23. If I may ask instars and Hexie what sizes are you using. I would love to try this,your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete