Wednesday, 17 May 2017

Hexagon Star

Hanging on the wall at last!  
approx 62 inches by 56 inches

I was expecting all the EPP seams on the half inch hexagons to be hard going with hand quilting but they weren't too bad - just a bit bumpy at times. The hand quilting progressed surprisingly quickly and I was finished within a month. 
No marking was needed as I just outlined all the 'flowers' in the garden, and followed a lot of the star and diamond edges.

To give a little definition to the outer borders (single coloured hexagons among cream ) I quilted straight through three rows all around the outside of the quilt - see below:

Just in case anyone wants to know - I used YLI cream quilting thread, thin cotton batting, a 16 inch square hoop and my usual handful of hardware (Clover brass half thimble, yellow needle puller and TJ Quick quilter spoon) - no affiliation with any of these suppliers but they are Australian stockists. After losing a couple of my usual needles (flicked into the 'ether' across the room - as you do!) I tried a new quilting needle which I now also love - Sew Easy Quilting gold eye size 9. They were $2.65 for 20 strong little needles from Lincraft - got to love that sort of economy. 
The backing is a favourite old floral called 'Plantation' from Windham.

I thought that, especially as this was to be a wall hanging, this quilt would suit a no-show binding. If you google and Pinterest search there are quite a few handy tutorials on various ways to do this. 

In 2014 I made a hidden binding on my 'Simon' Dutch quilt (click to see more in the link) but I was not entirely happy with the corners on the back as they were a bit bulky and not particularly neat. Mind you the quilt hangs beautifully square and I love the finish on the front

So I decided to take a chance and give another method a try - adapting the method in this tutorial from QuiltArtNews.
To reduce bulk a little I only used a single fabric thickness (not double as in the tutorial). 


a nice straight bound edge on the folded quilt
The result is just what I hoped for -  a firm, neat edge (front and back) but still flexible enough to drape. And I highly recommend the method - very easy to stitch up.


Having a bit of photo fun with a "focal black and white" faded finish - how's this for an Autumn garden photo? 


37 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Well done, a lovely finish. And thank you so much for showing and telling us so much about that invisible binding. I have Petra Prins' books but have never tried this way of binding and I do find everything easier with pictures. Your quilt looks beautiful hanging on that wall, you must be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hexagons, and i love your pretty Quilt.
    Greetings, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, and thank you for all the explanations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous finish!
    It looks amazing. Thanks for all the little hints on techniques used in the process of completing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely, what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Hexagon Stars quilt is Gorgeous!
    Thank you for sharing so many detailed pictures, I enjoyed seeing your beautiful fabrics, piece work & quilting up close. This quilt is truly a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never done binding that way thanks for sharing - I love your hexie quilt - I have put my hexie quilt away for a little bit while I finish one and work more on a couple other quilts. I just needed a break from it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is just lovely. I've never tried binding like you've showed but I've been wanting to try something different. Can't wait to see what you are working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely love this quilt! Is it your own design? or did you use a pattern? (lynnstck[at]yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous quilt! Thank you for the process post - these always help. Congrats on a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely finish--I love everything about it! The backing is perfect and the no-show binding was a great idea for this quilt. Congratulations! I hope you find those errant needles--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is absolutely stunning! I adore every part of it. A true treasure! Thank you so much for allowing us to join you in this journey. (and, I usually find my lost needles in my husband's socks!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing the binding method. I wondered about that as soon as I saw it!

    Congratulations, Hilda, it turned out beautifully! You are on a roll with the finishes these days. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Red and brown is one of my favorite combo.... You have done a wonderful work as usual and it's always a pleasure to admire your quilts !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so love your blog! When I see there is a new entry, I quickly make a pot of coffee, sit in my favorite chair, and begin the journey! Truly a delight! I am always in awe of your workmanship and productivity. This quilt is beyond beautiful! I bow to your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work! I bet this one is very satisfying! So many little pieces and lots of cozy times together.:) Your edge finish is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous finish!! I have some small wall hangings, made of hexies, that I could easily use this method. Thanks for sharing it. Love the photos. I like seeing the fabrics used in a quilt!! Hope you had a happy Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the most divine Hexagon Quilt ever Hilda. Just gorgeous! A real heirloom, and I love your soft quilting.
    Thank you for all your references. Its always good to check these things out. I have never made a binding that way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, I have never seen such beauty. I am a hexie addict. This absolutely hascmade my day. Congratulations on such gorgeousnous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely stunning! I'm glad you always show some many detailed photos of all those fabrics you included. I can't imagine cutting one or two hexies from a gazillion wonderful fabrics. Your work is incredible. I saved the tutorial you recommended. If was fun looking back at your Dutch quilt, Simon. I love that one too. Your quilt is beautiful enjoying the fall colors. It's a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hilda this quilt looks gorgeous!! Your quilting is lovely and your garden always makes the perfect setting :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful Hilda! Another great finish. I have found the half inch size addictive.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful finish, Hilda! Absolutely gorgeous! I loved looking at all your fussy-cut hexies and your great choice of fabrics. Your quilt looks lovely in the garden setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your hexagon quilt is quite wonderful! Love the autumn photo! Have you ever done a post on how you hang your quilts? So amazing how you have so many displayed in your home and change them out too, would love to know how you do it. I think you must be an expert! Thanks for the lovely post and quilting inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on another beautiful, beautiful finish!!! Such an interesting way of completing the quilt with a no-show binding, perfect for this quilt. Thanks for detailing your process and listing the tools and materials you use. Love love love the photos that show all of your gorgeous fabrics and the final pic is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lot of stitches in the making of this quilt. And so many fabrics. I enjoyed the close-up photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Its a beautiful masterpiece. Congrats on a wonderful finish

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another instant heirloom. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hilda! Wow! Nice work and it is stunning! Love that binding method.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing the binding technique. I have never tried it but I will do so on my current hexagon quilt once it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm doing hexagons at the moment, but they are giant compared to yours, and even that feels too slow. Your quilt is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  32. So lovely .... a lot of slow stitching in that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOWZA!!! Beautiful, beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow wunderschön,ich bin verliebt in deine Arbeit
    Liebe Grüße Hannelore
    ตารางคะแนนลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing about the binding

    ReplyDelete