Irene Blanck's pattern is a lovely version of the quilt - finishing at 90" by 78". I was so thrilled when this pattern was first released and bought it straight away. It has been on The To Do List for a while and I 've watched Carole's version growing beautifully.
My quilt will be based on Irene's pattern but I will make a little tweak here and there - just when I might want to follow the original antique more closely. Here is Irene's pattern:
I decided to go with a basket similar to the antique in the book pictures. I just love lattice baskets/vases and I have appliqued a few of these in the past on some Baltimore blocks ( still not finished ).
I made a few 1/4" bias strips and wove them in place...ready to hand applique.
I knew this neutral colour palette would be difficult to photograph - it is not a grey background - more of a warm cream but the lighting was not good for those photos! The background fabric is Kona Ivory.
A couple more photos of the centre applique coming along...and different lighting, looking a different colour again ..grrr. Starting some needleturn applique leaves and flowers.
Benjamin Biggs Block 6 is done. I used the same fabric for the berries as in Block 3 - with fussy cut centres again.
The background for these blocks is Kona Ivory - the same as for Auntie Green - though you might not know it looking at the photos above!
While I have been blogging it has gone from rain and solid cloud cover .....to brilliant sunshine. Time for a brisk winter walk I'm thinking!