Tuesday 2 September 2014

Gift Giving Season is in sight...

I had planned to be organised for Christmas with piles of handmade gifts prepared during the year... and the start of September reminded me that somehow this had not happened. So I've had a panic rummage in the cupboards to find the ideas/supplies/patterns that have been waiting patiently and whipped up a couple of starters. 

A padded star - could be a pincushion or a Xmas tree decoration:


It was made using a pack of pretty silks that I purchased from a garage sale for only $1(and pre-washed too). There's plenty left so I'll be making a few more. The idea was inspired by Anne's  post at Notes from the Quilt lab blog. I made mine by English Paper hand piecing instead of machine piecing, and added a hanging loop.

Bargain pack of silks
Next find in the cupboard was a Quilters Companion magazine, collecting dust, opened at this page:

I even had the pack of 2" apple core papers ready to go. Sue Daley has a great Youtube video on her method to construct apple core EPP. It does involve glue but works a treat so that's fine by me. 
First I cut 45 apple cores from some  Japanese taupes:

Then folded the ends of the fabric pieces over the papers,  glued (glue pen), and ironed to fix. 

 Then I appliqued the cores together in rows of 5 alternating direction:
Then the rows were appliqued together - they interlock like magic:
All stitched together:

Ironing turned over outer edges with a bit of starch spray, and then carefully removing the papers:

 Now it is ready to applique to the backing:
The background linen, thin wadding and lining linen were sandwiched together. Then for some big stitch quilting - not too much quilting as it was tough going through all that linen and apple cores!


It was a mini quilt...
Then for a bit of binding and hardware...
 And it was ...a pouch
9 1/2 inches by 5 1/2 inches

That is a versatile gift don't you think? good size for stationery, toiletries or ...of course ... quilter's essentials.
Audible sigh of relief - I have started the Silly Season gifts!

22 comments:

  1. You've been pinning lots of Xmas ideas. Can't wait to see some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the apple core tutorial. I have wondered how they go together and that was really helpful. Such a cute pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little bag.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful. What a great idea. I still have plenty of Taupes left over from my last quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweet apple core quilt -
    Lovely star ornament too, looks pretty in the succulent

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY who wouldn't love to receive that pouch, I loved it as a little quilt too. but as a little tote to use, a treasure.
    the star ornament is beautiful I love having hand made ornaments on our tree.
    thanks for sharing I may have to join in on this and start making a few gifts!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been watching Sue Daley's videos on You Tube this week. Love your little gift ideas! She really shows that there is no limit to the shapes that can be put together. That little pouch is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little mini apple core quilt caught my eye. I like it very much. I have been thinking ahead to Christmas gift giving also and looking through my quilt books for ideas of smaller size things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Hilda, that apple core pouch is stunning. Wishing I was the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are two very beautiful gifts. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Hilda what pretty projects! Those on your gift list are sure to be delighted! I've never tried apple cores before - yours look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I really love it ! It's a wonderful pouch and a great idea !
    Bravo Hilda !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What terrific little handmade gifts! I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those fabrics are lovely with those little shapes. Your apple cores are really special, and your stitches finish them perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're on your way. Both projects would be warmly received during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well Hilda you have made a good start just keep going. I have a few projects in the brain that have not yet got to the cut out stage. Thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colors and the textures in your apple core project. Great little star too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! Love the taupe a you used!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you Hilda getting a jump start on the holidays! Love your little bag and the silk squares look perfect for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nooooooooo........not yet!! winter is only just finishing......... (But good on you for being a good Girl Guide!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. apple core is one on my list - love your fabrics, I have some of the Japanese Taupe put aside for the Love Entwined quilt I am making

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hilda, you're so organised, I haven't even thought about Christmas yet :) Love the taupe fabrics and how they have been pieced and the way the mini quilt suddenly became a pouch - how nifty.

    ReplyDelete