Tuesday 28 October 2014

Benjamin Biggs BOM - two rows down

That's ten 12 inch blocks done now, and time to lay them out for a 'play'. I won't stitch them together yet just in case I want to change something later . 


This is the latest one finished - Block 10 - rather an unusual one I think...not quite sure what these four elements depict but I stitched it anyway! They look a bit like candle sticks but maybe they are a simplified stem and flower. I checked in Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Applique but there's nothing quite like it, though in outline it could resemble four fleur-de-lis. Any thoughts?

Civil War Bride -  for my second block I jumped across to Block 11 (the numbering in the Threadbear pattern) .

Four block applique quilt: Last post I mentioned that I want to improve my hand quilting technique. I used to hand quilt by stitching forwards (I was taught 20 odd years ago and that was it) - and then got a lot of hand/ wrist pain. I am now teaching myself the rocking motion and quilting towards myself - and feel so lucky to have loads of YouTube video tutorials and blogs to study. 
Anyway...I want to dive in with a smallish test quilting project. There is a pile of completed Baltimore Album blocks which have been abandoned  living in a cupboard here (you know how it is...not happy with the standard of my older work). But I thought I'd pick out four of the better ones and make a small wall quilt - instant hand quilting practice!
First trimming the blocks with my Karen Buckley adjustable square (love this tool) - and they really needed adjustment I can tell you.

Blocks sewn together: 

Then I needle-turn appliqued a saw tooth border to finish it off (lucky I still had plenty of the red fabric left) :


Basting the layers together ready to hand quilt - it measures about 1 metre ( 39 inches) square:


And I'm off...quilting around all the applique pieces: 


I'm pretty slow, the stitches are far from perfect, but am feeling more confident all the time, and loving it. One thing I wanted to avoid was holding up the layers with a hand hoop - used to give me such a wrist pain - but I don't want to invest in a floor stand or frame at this stage. So I bought a hands free 'sit-upon' rotating quilt hoop from Thimblelady - seemed a good start and reasonably economical. I'm finding it comfortable to use sitting on the lounge and the hands are pain free so far.


I've got a lot of applique going on as you can see above - and that doesn't include my secret sewing of Auntie Green. But there are more temptations out there. Have a look at Wendy's new free applique BOM - just lovely!

And what's going on here? ... In Sydney with my daughter and her fiance when she was admitted as a solicitor this month. 
some happy tomfoolery there...
We celebrated after the ceremony with a champagne silver service High Tea in the Queen Victoria Building - such a treat. 
beautiful ceiling

There's been a touch of Summer in the weather. Too early for me (what happened to Spring?) but some things in the garden are loving it.
 


30 comments:

  1. Wonderful aplique. Your BOM is fantastic. What is the name from the ruler?
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... that Civil War Bride block. Simply lovely in your beautiful reds! Great to see you getting back to hand quilting in a way that will hopefully be pain free. When you love it, it's probably terribly hard to refrain.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work as usual Hilda and let the pain free quilting continue.
    You must feel incredibly proud of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your applique is exquisite! Even your cast offs are beautiful. I hope the changes help you to enjoy your quilting more comfortably. Congratulations to your daughter, lovely photo of you both,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your lovely daughter; a beautiful photo of the two of you and oh that ceiling is just incredible!

    Beautiful work here as usual...I so enjoy seeing it. Enjoy your stitching : ) It is strange...usually hand quilting does not give me pain yet I'll get wrist pain after applique if I have done a bit of it. Then it's time to put a support brace on for a day or two and give it a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so glad your four blocks came out of the cupboard. They are wonderful and your stitching looks great. Sounds like you are making good progress! Always love seeing what you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you have done with the 4 blocks and the border. Congratulations to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a glorious post! You and your daughter are beautiful, congratulations to her. What a beautiful room.
    Your BOM blocks look gorgeous, so traditional and lovely.
    Your red & white brides block is wonderful - it's going to be so unique!
    I love 4 block quilts and yours is so wonderful with the dog tooth border. Have you ever tried DMC tatting thread for basting. I learned of it in a workshop and it is fabulous. It grips the fabric and batting. Wish I had learned it before starting on my Jubilee.
    beautiful work and update!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, Hilda, your work is perfect ! So amazing....... bravo ! :)
    Congratulations to your daughter ! You must be proud of her !

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations to your daughter and that must have been a fun lunch - something you most likely do not do every day :) love the quilting and I have never seen that ruler! looks quite handy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "practice" quilt piece is so cute! Love your BB blocks too.
    Congrats top you daughter. What a lovely photo of you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your daughter is lovely. Congratulations on her success. I'm so happy to hear that you have found a comfortable hand quilting method. It is so relaxing when comfortable! I love block #10. It looks like something I would design at the end of the day when I want a simpler design. They look a little like fountains with berries on the side. They are simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your daughter's success! All of your applique is beautiful. I so enjoy seeing your lovely stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Civil War Bride block.
    You should feel very proud of your daughter, her success no doubt has a lot to do with how she was bought up. It doesn't just happen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those four blocks look lovely together. Much too nice to leave in a cupboard. And your other work is amazing too. You must be so proud of your daughter, what a lovely photo of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your BB blocks! I passed on this project, but now seeing everyone's blocks coming together, I'm wishing I had jumped in. The Civil War Bride block is beautiful in all of it's reds. Also, I really like your Baltimore blocks - even the fabrics!! Using old blocks looks like a good way to get some hand-quilting practice in and use some unfinished project blocks though. Hope you can tell us more about how you like your new hoop after you've used it more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to reply by email but it was returned to me - could not deliver - not sure why.
      Thanks Debra - am sure you can join BB any time you like and would be very welcome! The hoop is going well so far and I do like the rotating feature especially trying to outline quilt all the little applique pieces :)

      Delete
  17. You have been busy Hilda! Your early appliqué is beautiful and I hope the hand quilting set up works for you.
    Your daughter,is gorgeous. You must be so proud of her achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All those hard years of study have paid off well done to your daughter and such a great photo of the two of you. Blocks look good also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of your applique continues to be beautiful. I'm glad you're finding a new way to work on your hand quilting. And the picture of you and your daughter is lovely. What a great achievement and we know those things don't just happen without hard work and a strong family support. Well done for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to your daughter (and to your family) on her admission - what a lovely way to celebrate. I love your applique - it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations. Your daughter has brains and beauty!

    You have certainly got a lot on the go. And all of it so nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations to your daughter! What an accomplishment! Also think that's a gorgeous place to go for tea.
    I'm so excited that you are giving handquilting another go. I do hope it goes well with your hands! I taught myself to quilt like you - stitching forwards running stitch - I remember well how my hands used to hurt from it. I took a class to learn the rocking stitch and love to handquilt that way - I hope you can love it too :0) Are you using wool batting? It's a good choice I think. The four blocks are so lovely and with the sawtooth border make a lovely little quilt to learn on. I can't wait to see what you quilt in the open space. I 've never tried a hoop like that before - it looks interesting. I sit very comfortably and most unladylike on the couch with the hoop resting up on my knees or the arm of the couch. I like your block 11 very much - cool eggs :0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed this post! You have a lot going on. It's a good time to be working with reds and greens. Glad the changes you've made for hand quilting are working out. Hope it continues. You do such beautiful needle work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do beautiful work. I enjoy your posts very much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a coiple of orphan Baltimore style blocks in the cupboard. I think I might turn them into something useful. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sigh...all of your projects are so beautiful. I can't believe that you have relegated your Baltimore blocks to the cupboard, we are truly our own worst critics. The four blocks together look great and I hope the hoop and new method continue to be pain free. Congratulations all round on your daughter's achievement, that is such a beautiful photo of the two of you together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can really sympathize with your hand quilting issues. I tried a lot of tools and tricks before I worked out a good method. I ended up using the Thimblelady techniques with some adjustments. The most useful parts of her method (to me): longer needle, her plastic thimble with which you push the needle with your finger in a functional position instead of the end of your finger, the hoop as a holder only--the quilt is held very loosely which enables you to fold the quilt onto the needle rather than pushing the needle through. It can be much much easier than finger guards and needle pullers..I hope you will give her a look. Your work is beautiful, god bless you, I wish I could quilt that much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hilda, your projects are always so beautiful. It's do interesting to hear if your quilting techniques and tools. I've wondered about the standing hoops, they seem like such a great idea. I really hope these things work for you. A big congratulations to your daughter for becoming a solicitor. What a wonderful achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My partner and i treasured executing that you because doing so strapped throughout hence perfectly with these studying with Charlotte's Website along with all of our analysis associated with Doreen Cronin plus the woman's enjoyable Work schedule of any ____ string. https://imgur.com/a/Df4IrhO https://imgur.com/a/mTDGoz6 https://imgur.com/a/uZDshEO https://imgur.com/a/5upb5No https://imgur.com/a/YnTLJyC https://imgur.com/a/upak27R https://imgur.com/a/v0iSpP9

    ReplyDelete