Monday 28 July 2014

Relaxing with Auntie Green..

The applique has been a very relaxing process - just love it. Here we are so far:

There are a lot of circles of all sizes in this applique and I did make an effort to create quite a few by the gathering-and-ironing-over-templates method. It does produce such perfect circles but I have to admit I didn't stick at it very long.
I decided I really don't mind a little more organic circles, and the more relaxed I got the more I liked them lol! So ...most of the circles are back basting prepared and then needle turned. I found this little tool really handy to draw neater circles for back basting prep:

Fitting on that outer vine and flower border was tricky - needed to do a wee bit of pattern adaptation to fit. 
I did the floral applique first but left about 3 1/2 inches clear background to add the vine outside:
Organised chaos...or maybe just chaos?
Positioning the vine (long bias strips prepped as in last post) - bit of adjustment required:


Pinning ready to applique...and I might add a few more flowers/leaves later to fill gaps.
 
Meanwhile...here is Benjamin Biggs Block 7 -  such a delightful pattern. 

And here is one lap quilt that is nearly finished - my Double X gift quilt - pinned and now being quilted - all machine pieced.

I can only hope it might have improved my machine piecing skills (as I made this under expert teacher guidance in my quilt class) but I can't say I enjoyed it as much as hand work. If you want to know my thoughts exactly about hand applique - just look at Kyle's inspiring post - always a joy to read her posts at Timeless Reflections!

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your Auntie Green is magnificent, I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled (that's if you can bear to part with it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I am loving your Auntie Green in neutrals it is just stunning. Oh My love the next block of BB. what is that green on the outside little flowers, I haven't seen that one before, love it!
    Double X is a great blue and white quilt, love that block. I think you do an amazing job machine quilting have fun with this one
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Auntie Green is breathtaking! It's so dreamy in the neutrals. Your piecing on your Double X block looks perfect to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, the Aunty Green is sensational in neutrals. There's a lot of fudging and fitting in on the version I'm making too. The double x looks great and I'm always happy to see your red and green quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your Aunty a Green looks amazing. That bias looks quite tricky, I think I might place the bias before I do any more leaves or flowers. The BB block is gorgeous, beautiful fabrics and skilled appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Aunty Green pattern and am waiting for time to start it. I appreciate your sharing the applique and bias strip placement process! All your projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much work but Aunty Green is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness you are fast, I think I worked on the braided border for a month once I had the bias glued down. Then it was just like sewing down binding to me which is a bit boring. The neutrals are beautiful in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do beautiful work! Aunty Green is amazing - I am surprised by how much I love neutral quilts. BB is anything but neutral, but just as gorgeous! I love Double X too - looks to me like you have machine piecing mastered!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kyle does write entertaining posts! Love your Auntie in neutrals, so elegant.
    Looking forward to seeing Double X finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your appliqué is so calming and beautiful and I like the idea of your organic circles! Getting all the pieces and borders to come out even is a skill in itself. And the blue and white Double X is a classy classic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Auntie Green is softly, spectacularly beautiful! I always enjoy your process pictures and thoughts :0) the red and green applique is so pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What type or loft of wadding or batting do you use in your quilts, e.g., your "Double X" quilt and I think I saw the same in your "Simon" quilt? Do you use it because it is easier to machine quilt on your domestic machine? Your quilts and documentation have been an inspiration to me--such lovely work and detailed photos--thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love Auntie Green in all the neutrals. Lots of fun hand work there! I am very impressed with those points on Double X! I do agree with you I prefer hand work. Looking forward to your next update!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Auntie Green is looking so elegant and wonderful!
    I love your Benjamin Biggs block too, such pretty fabrics.
    Your Double X looks so pretty in shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I am so surprised at how much I am loving Auntie Green in the neutrals. I think you may be starting a new trend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving your Auntie Green in these gorgeous neutrals.
    It's going to be a classic in it's own right.
    I also love BB block, yes a delightful block.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Auntie Green in neutrals is gorgeous! Love the fabrics you have used in BB block 7. I would imagine a quilt made entirely from that block would be lovely. Blue and white are always such a success, your lap quilt will be so fresh and welcoming. You have been a very busy quilter!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Auntie Green is looking wonderful. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a fabulous version of Auntie Green - love it! The BBWQ block is wonderful too. Just love your applique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love your version of Auntie Green. I looks like a completely different quilt. I too had trouble with the placement of the outer vine and had to do some creative adjustments. The reds and greens you are using in your BB are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Your Auntie "Tan" is turning out splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, so much progress since my last visit.
    It is looking superb. I so admire your applique.
    Love your blue and white double x it looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete