Saturday 12 July 2014

Overdue for a catchup..

My computer's been on the blink for a couple of weeks but is up and running at last...

I've had a couple of exciting visits to the "big smoke" (Sydney). One was attending the Australian Quilt Study Group's "Uncoverings" day - a great chance to examine antique quilts up close and hear about them from their owners. The other was a visit to the Sydney Quilt Show with a quilting friend. We were very impressed with the new venue and the transport arrangements. 
The Show entry foyer  
Photo sharing was not permitted at either event - sorry. But you can look at the Show link to see all the prizewinners (click through the blue tabs) - amazing talents - in a league of their own. 

It was exciting to see my quilts hung amongst them (many thanks to the Quilt Guild for the chance) and to be listed in the catalogue. I can at least show you pics of these hanging, and their catalogue listings...



Then there was shopping...  We zoomed over to the Quiltmania stand and actually spoke to the lady who owns the original Carolina Lily antique quilt (from which mine is copied) - it hangs in her office in France! Linda from Quilts in the Barn kindly assisted me with these little purchases:

Our heads were spinning with ideas/supplies at various stalls and, keen to make some bag gifts, I came home with these: 

Stitching progress to report - Auntie Green has been relaxing sewing in the evenings: 


How's this for a textural photo in the late afternoon sun? I'm hoping to get that depth of texture with the quilting later on.
Making lots more bias stems:


The Ann Randoll reproduction next border will be hexagon flowers on cream background, with applique flowers too. Here is a photo I printed off from Pinterest - no idea whose photo it is as there was unfortunately no link, but I recognised it instantly as Ann Randoll's quilt - and a great closeup. 


So first I am having fun making lots of hexagon flowers. They are 1/2" hexagons.
preparing EPP 1/2 " hexagons

hexagons sewn into flowers
Wandering around on Pinterest led me to this blogpost in 2012 on Quiltville Quips and their photo of an antique Grandmother's Garden quilt (scroll down their post to see it). I do love a bit of yellow in a quilt and I have always wanted to make a quilt with just solids.  So here goes starting a new quilt - Grandmother's Garden - in citrus solids and with large 1 1/4 " hexagons and a pale yellow "path". The fabrics include various depths of poison green and cheddar. There are homespuns, chambray and a few lovely peppered cottons.
These large hexagons go together pretty fast with English paper piecing - especially as there is no fussy cutting. I had to stitch a sample "garden bed" just to see how they look, and I love it. Perhaps I need a colour overload after all the creams in Auntie Green!

Just so you can see how large these are - compare these monsters next to my little stack of Ann Randoll flowers.

 There are a lot of inspiring hexagon projects in blogs at the moment. I especially love Dawn's little hexagon repro quilt . And if you need to know anything and everything about making hexagon quilts then check out Karen's work - so generous and thorough with the information too.

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations having your quilts on show and sharing your beautiful work with others. Love how your Auntie Green is progressing. I would like to play with neutrals some time in the future but I am not ready yet. Will watch your project grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing your quilts hanging in the show , that yellow Carolina Lily is one of my favorite quilts you have made, its just sooooo beautiful. Always enjoy seeing your wip's . Auntie Green is going to be amazing. Wow, it will be stunning when done if the center is any indication. Truly beautiful.
    fun to see the difference in sizes of the hexagons! wow.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see you back, I have missed your posts! I love your Auntie Green, amazing how much interest you can add with neutrals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your beautiful quilts at the show, very exciting for you. Your Auntie Green is coming along magnificently, it looks so good in the low volume fabrics. I love hexagons too, enjoy your new project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to hear from you. You must be so proud to see your quilts at the show and in the catalogue. Both quilts photograph beautifully. That Carolina Lilly really is a show stopper!
    I thought Auntie Green was going to be elegant done in cream and ecru and I was right. It is stunning. I was at Quilt Canada and there was a quilt done in this colour way and it was soft like yours but a real eye catcher!
    The AR quilt is beautiful and I love the 1/2" hexagons that will go in the border. The new hexagon quilt in solids makes my fingers itch to sew! Thanks so much for mentioning me and my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation on being in the show and catalogue both are well deserved. Carolina Lilly certainly is impressive.
    Your Auntie Green is just turning out amazing. I must put neutrals on my to do list. Who knew they would be so wonderful in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Just love all of your projects and how fun to see your quilts in the show - they are gorgeous. Auntie Green is going to be amazing - I love neutral quilts, but my brain can't seem to pull one together. Great hexies - I love seeing pics of different AR quilts in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love seeing all you do and glad that your computer is up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun you got to see your quilts hanging at the show! Love your Auntie Green in neutrals. Fantastic hexagon projects. I'm glad you liked my little doll quilt :-) she is all mailed off for a new owner this fall. You've made great progress on AR.
    Enjoy the bag project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations for your quilts in the show !
    Your Auntie Green is very original like this and I love it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Your quilts are gorgeous hanging on the show. Your WIP are coming out really beautifully. I hope you are enjoying every moment of it. (Hope you don't get this twice.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting to see your amazing quilt hanging in a show. I bet that was exciting! Love how your Auntie Green is progressing. I wish I could see it in person, the subtleties are probably wonderful to see. Really great citrus hexies. The bright solids are very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Auntie Green is so softly pretty!! Your daughter is going to LOVE it! I really like it in the neutrals you are using. Your quilts look beautiful in the show! How interesting to meet the lady who owns the antique. I bet she was impressed with your reproduction. It would be interesting to see them side by side. Those Quiltmania books! So hard to resist them :0) I love your new hexi project. So much beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the softness of your Auntie Green, but can understand the need for some color. Your quilts look great hanging at the show. You are really going to town with those hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was so thrilled to see your quilts hanging in the show. The Carolina Lily is so beautiful.
    You have some gorgeous projects on the go and I really love your rendition of Aunty Green I nuetrals, it'll be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of your quilts were among my favourites at the show. Your Aunty Green is so dreamy in those neutrals, I hope we get to see that quilt in a show one day. Beautiful hexagons! It's great to see the difference in size.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous hexies!! So funny to see the different sizes! Congrats on having your quilts hung - very exciting!!! I'm sure Linda had a lovely time "helping" you with those purchases!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh hey, I remember your Carolina Lily quilt. I admired it quite a bit as I was volunteering as a white glove lady in that section. I didn't enter this year, but maybe next year. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your neutral Auntie Green, it is so subtle and effective just like a piece of lace. I also adore hexagons, looking forward to seeing your solids quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great catch up. So many things. First congratulations on your quilts. They both are definitely winners. Using just neutrals in Auntie Green is beautiful and the new "large" hexies is going to be so fun. It was also very cool that you got to meet the latest owner of the antique Carolina Lily quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How exciting to see your quilts hanging. Carolina Lily has been a favorite of mine. The quilt is looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete