Wednesday 13 August 2014

Ann and I

Feels like "first name terms" with Ann Randoll at the moment - making her quilt and studying every photo I can lay my hands on.
Up to this point (the end of the clamshell border) I've largely relied on the notes and templates from Rhonda Pearce's workshop that I attended in January . Sadly she has had a major health set back and the last thing she needs to be bothered with at the moment is finishing the quilt pattern. I only hope she can focus on a speedy recovery to good health. 
The more I look at the quilt, the more I think I could give it a go and draft the rest myself. Of course it would be good to have Ann here to help but ...

The hexagon border : A reminder - here is a snippet of Ann's antique hexagon border:
Picture printed from pinterest 

I 've already made a bunch of the hexagon flowers (half inch hexagons - see earlier post), so I need to draft the applique flowers in between. A circle template and a 60 degree ruler came in very handy - and a wee bit of schoolgirl geometry...

I made a mock up on a strip of background fabric. Ann's not letting on how she got that variable height sawtooth applique edging to work, hmmm, so I'm settling for sawtooth all the same height. The applique will be back basting prepped and then needleturn. Looking forward to selecting fabrics for the flowers.

There has been a bit more of this - Stars meet Hexagons - they fit in like an EPP jigsaw - ready to whipstitch in:
EPP pieces ready to add 
And some more of this - working on the large floral borders of Auntie Green
the messy stage of back basting prep 
One border done

Benjamin Biggs block 8 - glad to get that one out of the way as the 'ins' and 'outs' on the red flowers were a challenge:
It is still very wintery but parts of the garden are in full bloom at the moment. For some reason hellebores do very well in my garden so I encourage them to multiply - such a rewarding, low maintenance little plant, and wonderful mass planted.
hellebores
Spring is just around the corner - and here is proof - the jasmine in bud. I love the perfumed flowers but then chop it back mercilessly after flowering - seems a poor reward but am told it loves it - cruel to be kind?!
jasmine
Hope you are enjoying plenty of sewing (or gardening) time.

23 comments:

  1. Your drafting looks like challenging fun. I love how the flower centre is a hexie. So much lovely piecing and appliqué, I always feel inspired after a visit to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are amazing, you're so clever. I'm sure your own drafted border will be perfect and am looking forward to watching it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been busy! I am loving that border you are drafting and auntie Green is looking lovely. Another inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A feast for the eyes reading your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is gorgeous. The stars meets hexagons is inspiring!
    Thanks for catching us up on your projects -
    Those hellebores are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work just blows me away. Each one so beautiful. Auntie Green is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have gotten such beautiful projects done. Love seeing what grows in your yard around the world from my home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your process for making the next "Ann" border. It's going to be wonderful! Your soft, pretty Auntie Green is progressing so quickly - I love it! You have such beautiful projects on the go :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is always gorgeous .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you got it! Great job on figuring it out! I love all your projects. Looks like you are making good progress also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your projects are wonderful, but the Stars meet Hexagons is amazing--love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hearing your process on all of your projects. The Stars meets hexagons is so bright and all those patterns working together is bold and beautiful. Compared with Auntie Green which is so low contrast and visually truly elegant beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness you've been busy.....and clever with it too!! It's all looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh..how I love your Auntie Green.
    Here the pattern is waiting for a start and I think that I now know which colors.Awesome !!!!
    If You donot mind ??

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I come to visit your blog - I always find myself breathing a little more deeply!
    I am so inspired and awed at your beautiful work and your creative thought process.
    The flowers you've drawn will be much prettier than Ann's. And your Auntie Green is just so stunning!
    Such a beautiful Ben Biggs block as always I love your fabric choices too!
    Always so fun to see your newest fussy hexagons and that beautiful quilt grow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh where does one start!? I just love all of your projects you always choose the most amazing fabrics and colours, such an inspiration. Thanks too for sharing the process of working something out without a pattern to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hilda, your Ann Randoll is amazing, I'm in love ����❤️❤️❤️ Really enjoying your Auntie Green too

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this post from start to finish! Seeing your thought process about how to approach the next border is fun. If spring is coming for you, that must mean my summertime will be coming to a close soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such pretty quilts!! The red is stunning, what a contrast to the neutral Auntie Green. Ann is coming along nicely. I like the change in point size in your photo. Great appliqué too.
    Variety is a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your work is so amazing ! Thank you for sharing...
    Bravo Hilda !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very inspiring post! Love seeing your wonderful progress.:)

    ReplyDelete