So far so very good ... and "harmonious" really is the word of the moment while quilting this one.
I forgot to take photos of the prep for quilting, sorry, but it was sandwiched on the floor with wool batting and a plain cream homespun for backing. I decided to try just pin basting. I find it a lot easier to do than stitch basting and have seen other hand quilters on blogs use this method successfully.
I left a generous edge of backing fabric and tacked it over the edges of the front . It provides cover for the pesky fluffy batting edges and is also a handy extension to the quilt - to aid in the hoop quilting of the edges. It will be undone and trimmed once quilting is finished.
I'm just quilting around all the applique to begin with, getting rid of all the pins as I go, and then will probably add lines and grid in the background later when I see how it looks. I expect to mark by scoring at that point, as this worked so well for my last (Four Block applique quilt). I've been experimenting with different size 10 hand quilting needles - broken a couple, lost a couple (flicked them away somewhere, never to be found again). But it has been comfortable on the hands so far and I'm thrilled with that...and so enjoyable.
I had started another couple of Civil War Bride blocks (back basted prep for needle turn applique), in case I tired of the quilting. So far they've not had a lot of attention ...
Have a lovely weekend with as much stitching as possible!