Tuesday 31 March 2015

Celebrating needlework

A couple of week's ago I visited a needlework show at a local village  - and am so glad I did. There was a wonderful display of vintage sewing from the collections of local people - many with photos of their history and stories to tell.

Vintage sewing equipment and haberdashery...




Beautiful wedding dresses ...I especially love this beaded pink one..




Gorgeous stitching...



A variety of quilts...from vintage to more recent finishes...





All very inspiring! 
And a little retail therapy  - 'very little' actually. From a craft stall I bought a pincushion as a gift for a friend. Here it is front and back  - only tiny but isn't it sweet?


And what news is there on my sewing front? doesn't feel like a lot to show...

I have finished the two Civil War Bride blocks from the last post:


But most of my sewing time has been spent hand quilting Auntie Green. I finished quilting around every bit of applique and it felt good to have the last pin removed! I could have left it there ... maybe just a little more in the open spaces, and it could have been a finish. But, no ... after visiting the Art of Needlework display and being inspired by the exquisite heritage work on display I felt I should and would make more of an effort here. 
I've started double parallel lines on the narrow outer vine border...

and a start to echo quilting on the large outer floral border...

Once you start intensive quilting there is no going back! I was quite uncertain about the echo quilting as I have never done this before and was afraid it might make the quilt stiff to the touch.  From my machine quilting experience I am sure it would be quite stiff if I had machine quilted so intensively. But I am amazed and thrilled by how soft/flexible it still is with the hand quilting.

Say hello to my my new sofas - selected with hand sewing in mind of course - "hand sewing in to old age" you might say! I hung on to my previous fabric Parker lounge as long as possible since it felt so well "broken in" for sewing but it was truly threadbare and had to go. As I break in the new ones I'm appreciating two great features for hand quilting - the recliner function to get just the right leg/back support, and the leather makes the quilt more manoeuvrable  - slipping easily when yanked  adjusted on the lap. 


It's a favourite time for seasonal change in gardens around the world - Spring in the north and Autumn Downunder. Loads of wind flowers have found their way in from the garden.


We took advantage of a perfect autumn day for a family gathering on the coast - where cousins (and their parents too) had fun paddle boarding. This beautiful beach is Bonnie Vale in the Sydney Royal National Park - about 1 1/2 hours drive from here but well worth the trip.

 son and nephew claiming boards
...and they're off

 daughter gives the "royal wave"
Enjoy the Season - wherever you are :)

26 comments:

  1. Your hand quilting is wonderful. I am just starting to think about hand quilting my Auntie Green, I am not committing to it quite yet, but I am considering it. I do like how soft and pliable hand quilting is on a quilt. Your CWBQ blocks are just as gorgeous as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There can never be too much handquilting. That soft marvelous texture is my favorite! It's time consuming but so worth it. I love double parallel lines. I love triple lines too when I see it in antique quilts but I haven't attempted that myself yet :0) The echo quilting is lovely as well.
    I always enjoy seeing your CWB progress - love the fussy cut flower centers. Enjoy your new furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Auntie Green is looking absolutely fantastic, the colours are beautiful and your hand quilting is great - can't wait to see the whole quilt! I've started AG but am still stitching inthe centre as I'm trying to finish another large top first. I really enjoy your blog and seeing your work, hope your new furniture provides you with many hours of comfy stitching! Celia in England

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely exhibition, and that little pin cushion is so sweet. I can't believe you're hand quilting Auntie Green already!! Super quilting. And those wind flowers are so lovely - I must plant some for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super handquilting on Auntie Green, very nice little stitches. Can't take my eyes off from it.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This exhibition was really worth the viait, with all these treasures on display, and the little biscornu you bought is just darling. Really love the way you are quilting Auntie Green, and the echo quilting is just the right way around all those flowers and stems (this week I made the first preparations for my Auntie, and I am really excited about it... ). The beach you visited is so beautiful, and the weather is something I am longing for. Over here it should become spring, but at this time it looks like autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hand quilting is lovely, the quilt is looking fantastic. I'm sure it will one day become an heirloom like the treasures on display. Autumn is much better for quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see that you can once again enjoy hand quilting. Seeing the progress on your Auntie Green makes me want to start my Baltimore Garden. We however are heading into our very warm, no hot and humid summer, so I will wait for fall. Thanks for sharing all the inspirational photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo Hilda for your quilting ! And your 2 blocks are amazing !! You're a very talented quilter.....
    I think the exhibition was so touching with all these old pieces of life.....thank you for sharing.
    Have a nice week in your confortable sofas ! ;)
    Hugs from France !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Hilda, your quilting is so beautiful! I am so glad you are going the extra mile as you will be happier in the end. It is just lovely. Funny how something so unexpected gives us a nudge every now and then. Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos of the exhibition. I love how they have the photographs next to the object. And yes, in a few weeks paddle boards will begin to show up in front of my office (I work in a boatyard). Now there is a sport that has certainly taken off in the last few years. It probably started in Australia! Our season is shorter but it has become so popular. Thank you for another great post and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Auntie Green is it worth all those tiny stitches,it will be looking great after You finished her.
    And Your daughter will be very happy with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have loved your Auntie Green's quilt ever since I found your site a year ago. I keep looking at the pattern and wondering if I have the patience for her. Thank you for sharing your beautiful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your neutral Auntie Green, it will look stunning hand quilted! I love your 'wind' flowers too - I think we call them Japanese Anemones? I have several white and pink in my garden in late summer, we are in spring at the moment and I am enjoying the hellebores and daffodils :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pin cushion is adorable. The Auntie Green quilt will be a real heirloom with all that precious hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pix of the show, Thanks for taking the time to post! The last pic of 'Primative' vintage quilt is wonderful, I think that might be fun to try! Your hand quilting is wonderful and the echo quilting is very effective and it does come out so nice and soft! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! The double stitching is wonderful and I love the outline. Definitely a huge difference between hand and machine quilting. Love your most current applique blocks, too.
    Very inspiring exhibit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilting is looking perfect. I know what you mean about not going back. But I know you will be so happy in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing the lovely needlework exhibit. I enjoyed enlarging the pictures and taking in the details. Your hand quilting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the double stiching in the border. It really adds to the beauty of the quilt. Those were awesome wedding dresses displayed at the show. Glad you had an opportunity to go see it. Keep on stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your hand stitching is incredible! Love those double lines especially. It's going to be a very special quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such an interesting exhibition. I loved the satin gowns because they reminded me of my Mom's wedding gown which she made from champagne satin.
    Auntie Green is going to be an heirloom. It is amazing how one can heavily hand quilt and the quilt remains soft whereas dense machine quilting can result in a stiff quilt. Your stitches are so beautiful and even!
    Love the latest Civil War Bride blocks! It will be another heirloom quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I am so glad that I found you. I am also on Pinterest and... I also am (maybe) doing the Civil War Bride but not happy with the fabric (I had purchased a kit). But what I want to know if you can please help me...what is the name of the fabric being used for your quilt ? I notice that there are many women doing this quilt and it must have been a kit. I live in CA so hopefully I can track it down. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful post filled with so many beautiful things. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been watching Auntie since you started her... and now to see the quilting...just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been watching Auntie since you started her... and now to see the quilting...just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful pictures, love looking at exhibits. thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete