I completed my first Benjamin Biggs quilt block back in January and it was the 16 " version that is in the pattern. But since then other bloggers have had the brilliant idea to make all the blocks as a 12" size instead of 16" - so the finished quilt will be smaller and more manageable. Great idea but I was a bit nervous of shrinking the pattern. As it turned out - easy - just printed it at 75% instead of 100% and so .... I made another Block 1 in the smaller size.
|Block 1 in 12" and 16"|
Luckily I had enough of the same fabrics too. Seems crazy to replicate all that work but I will keep the big one to use as a quilt label on the back of the finished quilt.
Here are Blocks 1 and 2 together - both 12". And I will make all future blocks in this size too.
|Block 1 and Block 2 in 12" size|
I don't know if you remember - I have been helping my friend Angela make her first ever quilt - a Log Cabin. Well - huge progress to report! We spent a day pin basting it at my place and she is now at the quilting stage. She even bought a new sewing machine that has an optional walking foot and will do some straight machine sewing in the ditch. Then she plans to add some big stitch perle cotton hand quilting in red. We're both thrilled with it! The backing is plain red homespun - and yes, it has been pre-washed a couple of times with colour catchers - taking no chances here...
|Angela's quilt - basting pins in|
Sewing these small EPP pieces together is quite hard on the hands so I might take it slower on this project . Time to work with different techniques in the Ann Randoll quilt reproduction.