|First sawtooth border completed|
Last report I was at the point of appliqueing the first saw-tooth border - quite tricky to stitch as the peaks are less than 1/2 inch high. My applique is far from perfect - there is an element of wonkiness in there! But I am happy with its 'handmade' look - consistent with the charm of the original antique quilt.
I knew I had to get a brown thread, and a fine one - hoping it would disappear into the fabric. I tried two YLI threads - the silk #100 and the Soft Touch cotton #004. They are both very fine which helps on small zigzags where you don't want stitches to become too much of a feature! I think it is just a personal preference which to use of these two (and am sure there are other great threads out there too) - both stitched beautifully. I prefer the cotton as it seems to 'grab' the fabric better - not so slippery - so the applique is held down very firmly . It does have a tendency to shred if you use a long piece of thread though. So short lengths it was!
|Preparing foundation paper strips|
|Foundation papers ready|
|Just testing that the papers fit around the quilt border - yep OK|
|Stitching the fabrics to the foundation papers|
|Trimming the edges of the pieced strips - paper still attached|
|Sewing border strips to the quilt - papers still in|
Then to remove the papers . I had used a small machine stitch so the seams were held firm, and the papers easily removed.
|Centre with tumbler border attached|
|Placement of the bias - will be tucked under the corner blocks|
It is so good to have had some useful rain in this part of Australia at last - my water tank has been empty for quite some time. So sad though to see too much rain has caused devastating flooding in the lovely villages and towns of England - places I lived in and visited as a child. Do hope it eases very soon.