Saturday 28 May 2016

Posies and Plaid

I've been slightly obsessed by this quilt at the moment. But the motto has to be "While inspired, grab the moment!". So all other projects have been collecting dust (along with the house). As quilters we've all been there haven't we?!

Just a reminder here's the inspiration for my design. 
from Jane Lury's Meanderings of a quilt collector

Thinking it would be efficient to divide this sort of quilt into sections for ease of construction, I sketched a small plan on graph paper, worked out the sizes of each section and cut pieces of background fabric to match. It will go together like a jigsaw of 19 block pieces. Hmm now where to start? The the fabrics in the centre and in the baskets may dictate the colour/fabric choices for my whole quilt, so I'm working on those first.

I'd selected this urn as my quilt centre and was going to just cut a rectangle like this and plonk it in the middle. But I think the green is too dark for the look I want here and would dominate the quilt. 
So I 've given the urn a lighter background by appliquing ( broderie perse) onto a lighter plaid fabric. 

A little cut out and reverse applique on the urn to remove the initials that were on the print. I'll ink something on there later - maybe a date, maybe my initials? 


Still not sure I love the irregular outline but will leave it for now till more quilt grows around it. 

So that's a start to the centre and gives me a 'look' to work around for the rest of the quilt plan. 

I sketched some preliminary applique designs. Then, using my lightpad, traced the design onto the back of the background fabric - ready for back basting and needleturn applique:
I made oodles of 1/4 inch bias (with a Clover bias maker ) and pinned a basket. This was fun weaving all the unders and overs! 


I've been mixing some modern fabrics in amongst my repros and love the look of them - including oldish Kaffe Fassett's and a Liberty print. You might be able to pick them out in the close up flower pictures?



That's one basket done. There will be three more to go on my quilt but I'm moving on to work on another section now...
The antique quilt has a plaid border (with a strong, dark stripe through it) around the central design - and I particularly like that feature. Well, I searched high and low in the stash, and found quite a few little green pieces to use elsewhere on the quilt, but none seem quite right for my border! How often does that happen?! 

But I did find a stripe repro that will suit me very well - phew - crisis averted! There was just enough in the piece to cut the four borders - double phew!

More bias was made - 3/8inch this time. 

I pressed the creases at quarter spacing along the border strip to help with placement of the bias vine. No design drawing is needed this way - you just decide the spacing of the peaks/troughs and press the creases at those points. It's quite easy to wiggle the bias into a curve and pin it in place. 

These borders will forever be associated with the Giro D'Italia (bike race) - I have been watching hours of recorded replays while stitching. Wonderful scenery makes it hard to beat the 'armchair touring' through the Netherlands and Italy!




It is almost farewell to Autumn in the garden. With a series of very windy days  the colourful leaves are disappearing fast! Hopefully the red and green King Parrots will still visit to brighten things up through winter :)

46 comments:

  1. You certainly did not let any grass grow under your feet jumping in to this new project!! How many different ways can one say love what you are doing? A great inspiration for us dreamers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see your progress pics,of this quilt. And it will be beautiful with all those colours in the urn to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful, I like the basket with all the different flowers very much.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be another beautful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so very talented. Wish a little of your talent would rub off on me.
    Kathleen Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did some speedquilting and sofar it looks GREAT !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That creative momentum is irresistable. The variety of fabrics do give your flowers a nice brightness, and I absolutely love the white vine and leaf border. The cold weather this weekend is perfect for giving in to a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful...once again. I enjoyed my morning coffee looking at your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the basket and the white vine is very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic work Hilda. Looking forward to see it grow. You have been a woman on a mission with this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting to see this one come together. I too have found a quilt in that book that I hope to create but I am still in the planning phase. Such a beautiful book with wonderful inspiration and now your wonderful work to add to the inspiration. Looking forward to following your progress, it looks just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am absolutely in love with your new quilt. The design and colors are wonderful. You are racing through the quilt. I can't believe how much you have done. It is fantastic. The basket is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - your work is just amazing to me! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love your blog & watching your progress on a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just a wonderful, wonderful post! The detail of your progress is just perfect for a newbie like me that loves Broidery Perse and appliqué, but that doesn't have a clue or a class that can show me how it's done. I will be keeping a copy of this post (Yay!!!) to go over again and again. Grateful thoughts being sent your way!!!!
    PS The parrots are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! All of this is so very inspiring. You are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing and beautiful work being done here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is so beautiful. Love the basket work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is amazing how you adapt the book quilt!! Such beautiful work, inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You draw very well. The woven basket block is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful! Love seeing the photos of your progress. Nice idea to applique the urn onto a lighter background and the woven basket is lovely. Great tip for appliqueing a meandering vine. I can't believe how much you've accomplished already :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your posts are always so inspiring....thank you!....and thanks for the tip about pressing your border to get the spacing correct.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adore the basket and flowers! You are the queen of quick applique! Maybe it's your "back basting" technique. I'm not familiar with it. I only use pins, but I seem to be oh-so-much slower.

    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely! That border fabric is great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your new project is so interesting and exciting. I love the white leaves and vine on the stripe! Your basket of flowers is lovely - the mix of fabrics is so interesting :0) This will be such a great project to watch progress. Such gorgeous birds!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking great. Love the basket of flowers. Thought you were brave picking the stripe for the border, or it could have been the stripe being up and down but as soon as I saw the photo of the vine/leaves finished I must say I think it looks fantastic. I would like a to have a bit more vision when it comes to picking my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh My Goodness, Hilda! This is looking amazing. Can't wait to see more progress on it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Hilda,
    What type of thread do you use? Any particular brand?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always enjoy your posts - lovely new project start. Clever idea to replace Mary's Initials on the urn.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful, beautiful work. I love those quirky quilts that have lots of different elements. I so enjoy watching your progress, as has been said before, you are very inspiring Hilda.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a gorgeous start to your newest quilt project!
    I love the broderie perse center block and all of your blended fabric choices.
    I look forward to following this wonderful new quilt journey of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love what you are doing with this quilt Hilda. I would love to make a quilt like this....no definition between the blocks. Well, thats what it looks like to me. Like an allover applique. I'll have to check out some patterns and get to it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a lovely project and really interesting to see your process in action too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. My, when you start a project, you really start one! What progress. I adore the serpentine Judy Rothermel border fabric (wish I had more!) and everything else about it. I can't wait to see this one finished. I have ordered the book thanks to you and can't wait until it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic fabric choices Hilda! Your woven basket is beautiful! Have fun with the inspiration and momentum and let the dust collect.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What do you work so fast! Certainly many hours per day?
    Beautiful and easy to flower vase at one time used as a centerpiece.
    Greetings,
    Floor

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely Hilda! I love your mix of fabrics, you certainly have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are inspired by Jane Lury and I am inspired by you. Another magnificent project gets its start. I've already read this post and studied the photos three times. You have such an eye for choosing fabric (wish I could borrow it!) and your stitching is so neat. Thanks again for sharing your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely gorgeous, and very inspiring too! I love how you just said, "I can do that," and went right to work. It's going to be amazing, I'm looking forward to the next instalment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Autumn in the garden ....?
    Here is the summer, although it is fresh with lots and lots of rain.
    Very beautiful birds in your garden.
    What a beautiful basket you made with flowers!
    Greetings,
    Floor

    ReplyDelete
  41. You really are having fun. I love watching your progression and seeing all the different fabrics you use. Very inventive and unique. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gorgeous. Wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh wow another stunning project!!! Your fabric choices are always so inspirational, just love the cream/white vine on the green serpentine stripe. We have also been visited by a family of King parrots recently, such beautiful plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  44. All very lovely. I always forward to your postings. Being a fan of back-basting I have learnt such a lot from you.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Loved seeing the pictures and reading about how you are going to make this quilt. It looks different and intersesting.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  46. Loved seeing the pictures and reading about how you are going to make this quilt. It looks different and intersesting.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete