Thursday 21 April 2016

Adventures in Melbourne

Just back from a little trip interstate to Melbourne 


When I say "little" - it took 6 hours travel to get there and nearly 8 hours back - with all the waiting and connecting between trains, shuttles, planes and taxis! So I crammed in as much sight seeing as I could while there...including the Australasian Quilt Convention of course. Unfortunately we cannot share photos taken of the many inspiring quilts. Annette Gero's collection of War Quilts was the most outstanding for me and a google search found these links for pics here and here and here


I finally got to shop at L'Uccello - they had a lovely stall at the AQC - a new pattern and a tin from there, and pretty toile (Mas D'ousvan) and stitchy supplies from other stallholders.

I followed that up with a visit to the shop itself. It is well hidden (no shop front) in this building...
image from Design Files
...enter through this arcade - a bit dark and mysterious but beautiful

image from Nicholas Building blog

up two flights of stairs... the suspense was building!


then this burst of colour at the doorway to welcome visitors! 

Some chat and some more shopping. These threads are new to me - fine waxed French thread for applique (Fil a Gant) in gorgeous colours and not expensive  - looking forward to trying them out.  

Melbourne's streets in the CBD are great fun to walk around - lots of history and character and colourful trams. Wandering down one narrow street (Flinders Lane - historically the centre of Melbourne's rag trade) I spotted a sign - couldn't go past of course! 

image from Tessuti website
It is a dress fabric shop but does include some gorgeous linens and Liberty fabrics. I "rescued" this piece from a table of half price roll ends - labelled "silk cotton" (feels like a very fine lawn) and if nothing else might make a pretty scarf? 
 


Some stitching updates: 
Hexagon Star - the centre star came together quite quickly as half inch hexagons don't take long to sew together once the prep in done - and I had been prepping obsessively! 

Travel can provide a lot of opportunities for stitching (all that sitting around waiting) and I had some EPP supplies with me. I got loads of hexagons prepped in little bags - grouped by colour...

... and more stitching has been done and so it grows...

My Quilt group holds a Mother's Day stall fundraiser each year and members are asked to provide/donate some stitched items. I thought I'd make a few mug rugs. Now don't look if you are squeamish as this involved some sacrifice of doilies - all in a good cause mind you! And they were pre-damaged doilies...
I machine pieced some fabric scraps in a random crazy-quilted style around the embroidered doilie pieces.


A little wadding, backing, machine quilting with walking foot, and binding. Attaching the binding strip took the longest of course lol! So I tried Self Binding (the rug on the right) - it was a quicker method but not such a nice plump finish to the edges. I later found a Youtube video on binding a mug rug - looks like a good method and I might just try that next time.


Sarah Fielke BOM - two more blocks and they are applique this time - a large Bird block and a Hearts/tulip block. But I dithered getting started as I was getting that itchy feeling that I needed to mess with them - will I/won't I? And in the end I did make changes because I felt the bird was not in keeping with the style of fabrics and look I had in mind. Sarah's bird is lovely for a modern quilt and certainly a great choice for an applique beginner: 
small pic from pattern notes - 12 inch bird block
I came up with this sketch - same branch but with a more classic bird to suit my fabric choices - especially in view of the bird toiles I have used in the star centres: 


my version - 12inch block
I also changed the Hearts/tulip block because I am a fuss pot and not keen on heart motifs

Sarah's block

my version - 12 inch block


Here's a look at some of the blocks together - not the final layout but gives an impression

Oh dear - it has been another long post. If I posted more often this wouldn't happen of course! Catch22 because then I'd not get the sewing done...
Anzac Day long weekend coming up - hope you all get extra sewing time too :)

26 comments:

  1. I was in Melbourne last year for the AQS. And to think, that I did not take one single picture!! I had my camera with me but forgot to take it out. and I met Di Ford and Linda Collins and Jinny Beyer and had dinner with Linda Smith. Sigh. I took an EPP workshop and bought lots of hexie papers for someday.
    Your newest project is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hexagon quilt - do you glue baste or thread baste - I'm actually thinking of giving it a try - but I will probably end up marking my seam lines and hand piece. I love all your photos it looks like you have a wonderful trip - the sewing supplies that you got - I love than tin canister! so unique

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good that you enjoyed your time in Melbourne & you certainly made the most of your time there. I went to the AQC on Sunday, it was a wonderful exhibition. I really enjoyed the variety of quilts on display, as I sway from traditional to modern. All of your work looks wonderful, and I think the changes you have made to the blocks works well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Melbourne update as it makes me want to plan another Melbourne trip and also AQC. Those hexagon's are amazing, very therapeutic I would hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hexagon star looks great and I like the BOM with the birds. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing these lovely photos about Melbourne ...and L'Ucello ! It's a famous quilting store and you've done great purchases in it !
    Your tiny hexies are super cute and as usual, your appliqué perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a delightful getaway! Lovely purchases and very productive traveling time. Your bird block is beautiful, the tail fabrics especially. How big will your hexagon star end up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful projects, lots of progress, your appliques are so beautiful.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful chance to get away and explore and find some neat treasures, nice toiles and great thread. Your tiny hexies look cute in their separated baggies, but gorgeous all together. Wow! I always enjoy your reinvention of blocks and the soothing colors you work with. A lovely post as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my--so much eye candy today--love it all! It looks like you scored some cool stuff on your trip--that little pin tin is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the links to the quilts! They look incredible. The hidden shop sounds fun and well worth the effort to get there! Love your changes to the BOM. It is looking so 'you' already and why not be fussy when it matters.:)

    ReplyDelete


  12. What makes many beautiful things to see us.
    Beautiful birds. That hexagonnen, very exciting colors.
    You go fast with your beautiful work.


















    What makes many beautiful things to see us.
    Beautiful birds. That hexagonnen, very exciting colors.
    You go fast with your beautiful work.













    What makes many beautiful things to see us.
    Beautiful birds. That hexagonnen, very exciting colors.
    You go fast with your beautiful work.
    Greetings,
    Floor


    ReplyDelete
  13. Sitting in my chilly garage while monitoring our 3 day garage sale - reading your post & seeing all the wonderful lovelies has warmed my stitching soul!! Your close up images of the applique you are doing is fabulous - such exquisite stitching. Melbourne is a beautiful and interesting city - I remember my long ago visit so well. Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great trip, the toile fabrics are GORGEOUS! The changes to the applique blocks are very pretty and do go well with your fabrics and the feel of the quilt so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your posts are always so inspiring!! I love the changes you made to the blocks - you're personalizing them not messing with them :0) I didn't happen to notice any bird feet on your lovely bird - LOL! Your tulips are so pretty too. Your hexagon star looks fabulous! I loved all the pictures from your trip - thanks so much for sharing them. Your posts are worth the wait - now I need to go sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a wonderful post filled with lots of pictures. I love your applique bird with all the toile centers. Lovely quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many pretties to view.

    I think my best favourite is the hexies. Oh, I love EPP, especially hexies, am addicted to them. Your star quilt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like the perfect trip to me! Thanks for the wonderful post and beautiful pictures. Your hexie star is so pretty and the bird block charming! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the toile you found. I've just today started a quilt called Rowdy Flat Library Quilt and it calls for a toile....I found a nice one, but not as nice as that! I also like what you've done with your Happy Day blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Hilda! So much to comment on. Glad your enjoyed your trip to Melbourne. I wonder if my friend GJ served you at the l'uccello stand at AQC? I liked the Annette Gero quilts too (forgot to mention them in my post - lack of referral to photos does that to me!). Such tiny hexies! The mug rugs looks so sweet - so brave of you to cut into your doileys - I'm yet to tackle mine. And love what you've done with your BOM blocks - they look so good together already.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love the colour choices you make! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A long beautiful post! Looks like a fantastic time in the city with wonderful goodies found. I'm curious to see how you like the new-to-you French applique thread.
    I took a peak at the Gero war quilt links- wow! Those are some amazing quilts! Now wonder you liked that exhibit so much.
    I love the changes you are making on the quilt- it will be uniquely yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for taking us along to the show, shopping and what's under your needle. Enjoyed every photo. Worth the trip! Lucky you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what fun! An adventure and hexagon progress to boot! I love the little mug rugs and no one should be squeamish as I feel that "re-purpose" is better than "no purpose". You are once again an inspiration. And oddly enough, I'm not keen on heart motifs myself. Wonderful job re-designing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your new header. I'm agog as always when I read your posts. Such beautiful work leaves me amazed and inspired. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like you had a lovely trip! With the addition of some nice fabrics and threads! I love your hexagons too. The mug-rugs are so sweet, they should sell very quickly! I also love your pictures of what you are doing with the Sarah Fielke BOM. It is lovely to make it your own in such a wonderful way!

    ReplyDelete