Monday 25 May 2015

Civil War Bride in Red

This one has been a little neglected. Part of the reason was that I had made all my favourite blocks from the Threadbear Civil War Bride pattern, and was not sure about others, not sure about elephants and horses (apologies to horse lovers out there) and thinking I might make some more changes to suit me. So...there are changes. 
I especially love the fruit bowl in the original quilt  (not included in the Threadbear pattern). 
Here is the bowl -  a zoomed in photo of the antique original quilt (in the book Treasury of American Quilts by Nelson and Carter Houck): 


And here is a version of the bowl block in "A Bountiful Life" pattern book:



The block in Bountiful Life is a square and I am making rectangle blocks (as in the Threadbear pattern )  - so it was not going to be possible to simply grab a block from Bountiful Life. Some drafting was needed to fit my 15" by 12" blocks. Here's what I came up with:


And then I gave the poor bird an eye (more on that later)

Can you see butterflies fluttering out of  this fabric?




Another block to be changed...am not so sure about the eagles. This block (from the Threadbear pattern)..
Threadbear block
...became this block by adapting the leafy branches and adding a rabbit and a butterfly:

my sketch


I decided the block with the horses and elephants was not for me (sorry - it is a fun block but just not what I want for my version) and needed a completely new block to replace it. So I went for another gentle creature - a squirrel - and borrowing the oak leaves and acorns that were in an earlier block - remember this one completed a while ago? 

My new block - similar leaves:

It seemed fitting to use this fabric for the squirrel's body..

Having made these changes there were only two more blocks to finish!
The second last ...with lots of berries.
The last block ..back basting prep for needle turn applique - looks chaotic but there is method in there and I find it works a treat.



Just a note on eyes - for all the creatures in the blocks. I had left a lot of them 'eyeless' but in the end went back to add eyes and I like how they look. This fabric was handy for the smallest eyes - an old line from In the Beginning fabrics:





So all the blocks were done and all I had to do was lay them out and stitch together...sounds easy? But I can tell you it took some fiddling around to achieve a relatively balanced feel - not just balance in value, but also the style and subject of the blocks and the fabrics used. I thought it would be nice to have an urn in each corner. Not sure I have achieved a value-balance but now they are stitched together and that's how they'll stay! Once a border goes on it should draw it all together better. 


Next is planning the border - could go with some elements from the original or I'm thinking maybe lots and lots of scrappy leaves on a trailing vine. 

Here is a little family of tubs I made recently when a friend came over to stitch for the day. Many thanks to Kyle from Timeless Reflections for the inspiration and the link to the free pattern. They should take only an hour each to make - and I'm pretty pleased to have three made in a day, despite all the chat going on!

There is a lot of work to be done in the garden - trimming back perennials after their autumn flowering. But I am holding off as garden visitors are still munching on the seed heads. The crimson rosellas love the salvias .



44 comments:

  1. Hilda you never cease to amaze me! I love the blocks you drew for yourself! I love the rabbit and squirrel! And you even have red and white acorn fabric! Your blocks together look amazing! It's going to be such a fabulous quilt. I need to draw up my side borders and now I might need rabbits in them... I enjoyed the Crimson rosella pictures too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...It was fun to watch these block come to life...and now your quilt is DDG!! (drop dead gorgeous!) WOW!! Stunning! I'm so glad you left off the elephants and horses! It's PERFECT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Hilda that's one amazing quilt! Would have been a shoe-in at this years Sydney show. Beautiful work again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i absolutely love what you have done to the quilt! it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to see how you are making this quilt 'your own'. I really like the way you have changed your blocks. The fabrics you are using are perfect and i think this quilt is looking fabulous. You should be very proud of all the work you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilda, I just love how your love of nature shines through and how you have not been too shy about using your own design skills to make a unique version of this lovely quilt. This is really superb.
    Jenny
    PS. I am new to commenting on blogs that I like, so please excuse me if this is my second comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is stunning, I love it in red! I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish with the border but I'm sure it will be perfect. Aren't th rosellas beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful, you have such a talent for selecting fabrics. And you are giving me confidence in changing a pattern to suit my likes. The bird in your garden is beautiful. Here in the northern US it is spring. I'm enjoying the song birds and green grass again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IF you should ever tire of this quilt please let me know. Totally beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot tell you what a treat it is to see this in progress. Brava! It's a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your versions and the changes you have made. I got stuck on the same blocks. I changed my vultures into cardinals. Love your bunny and squirrel, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand you changing up some of the blocks - I want to make DI Fords "Phebe" but the center block doesn't attract me in the least with the huge vase and small people & sheep I think when I make it I will put a completely different center in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you look at a pattern and see something different and do it.
    And i love reds, will look more into this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow--what a wonderful version of the quilt! I didn't care for the horses and elephants either and left them out of my version of A Bountiful Life. Your clever use of fabrics is amazing--love the butterflies, eyes and the squirrel! Love it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is truly a stunning quilt! I love the pattern changes you made (how talented you are!) and I can't wait to see how you do your borders. Gorgeous, gorgeous job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! Stunning use of shades and prints. Blew me away this morning! Can't quit scrolling the pix!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Your applique is wonderful, Hilda and I love the changes you made. The fabric is so wonderful and gives the blocks, animals, birds, butterflies so much depth and movement!
    Love that beautiful bird outdoors. Great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your changes and your work is always phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another gorgeous quilt and I love the changes you made, Hilda.
    Congratulatons!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The red and white version of the design is beautiful. I have been following along on your journey. You must have a large stash of red and white fabrics to select from. This is a very unique version of the design. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your red and white interpretation of this quilt. Congratulations on your adaptations and redesigns they merge nicely with the pattern.

    Don't you love finding fabrics that serve dual purposes like becoming critter eyes..well done. Will have to come back for more visits in the future,

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunning quilt. I did enjoy seeing your photos and seeing how you put the blocks together. What colourful birds you have! The most colourful bird we have in England is the Jay or woodpecker. relatively dull next to your Rosellas.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am simply astounded by your work, Hilda. All that beautiful intricate applique (I can't believe you needle turned those tiny little eyes!) You know that's the "A" word for me. I once appliqued a single oak leaf reel, and it exhausted me! Anyway.... your quilt is spectacular so far, and I look forward to seeing it in the finished form.

    btw I've never even heard of a Crimson Rosella, let alone seen one. Its gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful in red and I love your changes and additions.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Civil War Bride is beautiful, I think the leaves and vines for the borders is a great idea. The substitute blocks are lovely. What beautiful wild birds come to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your substitute blocks - wonderful to have some of your own designs in such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Hilda what a beautiful quilt. Your fussy cutting is great and your work lovely. Another stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hilda - this quilt is absolutely stunning. I can't believe how quickly you completed the blocks. You are such an inspiration. I love that you put all your own personal touches in this quilt and am sure that the border you have planned with complete the quilt top beautifully. Do you plan to hand or machine quilt this beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  29. What can I say that hasn’t already been said. Your work is always amazing. It is such a treat when you post as I know I will see something to inspire me to do better. You are such a talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason my reply email could not be delivered to you so I will reply here.
      Thanks Nancy and all I can say is "Same to you!" Have fun with all your lovely projects :)

      Delete
  30. Hi Hilda! I love the way you have personalized your quilt blocks. What a stunning quilt. You have done an awesome job. I am glad you gave the critters eyes! That was so clever using the fabric you did. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What can I say? I know it has been said before, but stunning is the only word I can come up with. I absolutely love your rendition of the blocks. I happen to be one of those horse people but I adore your squirrel and the bunny! I love it when quilters adapt historical patterns for what seems pertinent to today. After all the horse was such an integral part of everyday life when this original quilt was made. Your fabric choices are amazing. You have captured every leaf and creature beautifully. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your Civil Bride Blocks look fantastic. How much thought you have put in it and your applique is very nice, and your fabrics, oh my, wonderful project.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are a very clever and talented lady for sure, I love love all die reds. Love reading your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hilda, your interpretation of the quilt is breathtaking. I really enjoyed your post as you explained your creative process. Your ablitity to use fabric as part of the design element is phenominal. The "eye"fabric is perfect as well, as well as the awesome butterflies from the French General fabric. I think the use of just the red and white fabrics is the best I've ever seen. A great big well done! Also glad you had fun making the baskets. I've been hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow Hilda, I love everything you have done here.
    Absolutly stunning ....

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful Hilda, I love your custom blocks and can picture a lovely vine border. Way to make it YOUR quilt. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hilda you are amazing! I love your new blocks, clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my I am coming back your red applique is simply turning out gorgeous! Love the changes you have made, how neat to make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just breathtaking!!! I love all the changes you have made to personalise the quilt so that it is very much yours. Your use of fabrics continues to inspire and amaze with how you created the butterflies and gave everyone eyes. I think you must have the best fabric stash in Australia. Don't know how I've missed your recent posts, probably because I save them up for when I have time to savour them and then forget.

    ReplyDelete
  40. congratulations--you are a fantastic quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the fabric...do you remember what collection it is from? Thank you. I have the same pattern and it is just sitting waiting for me to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the fabric...do you remember what collection it is from? Thank you. I have the same pattern and it is just sitting waiting for me to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the fabric...do you remember what collection it is from? Thank you. I have the same pattern and it is just sitting waiting for me to start it.

    ReplyDelete