The clamshell borders are on and here's how it looks now:
|Now measures about 68" square|
I've decided to keep my quilt square in shape - partly because I prefer the look of it, and partly to keep it a more manageable size. So my clamshell border is narrower top and bottom than the original antique quilt. I have been working from Rhonda Pearce's workshop pattern. She made the wide clamshell border like the original. I think/hope to be able to modify the next border to suit a square shape. Just a reminder - here is a picture of the antique quilt:
|Photo from book Quilts 1700-2010 from the V&A|
And here are some more photos of the final stages of attaching my clamshell borders. Each border consists of clams entirely hand stitched together- which makes it a bit fragile. So it was a relief to stitch each strip to the quilt - anchored securely with a line of machine stitching.
In the border corners - overlapping the clamshells to fit them together
Ready to hand applique the corner clamshells together, and then remove the last of the papers.
All corners completed:
Hope everyone is getting lots of extra stitching time this long weekend (Queen's Birthday long weekend in Australia). I've been busy garden tidying and have the aching shoulders to prove it. So today there should be some lovely quiet time working on the start of Auntie Green - will post soon.
Here are the last of my geranium flowers - rescued before I gave the plants a severe winter trimming. Amazing burst of colour!