Just look at the lovely fabrics here...
I particularly like the red toile and the florals. A couple of small pieces of this line are already in my stash - which might come in handy for the quilt. But no more of the red toile.
To make a start I decided to fussy cut the toile to make the four corner blocks around the centre . It is a large scale print with few repeats so was going to be tricky to select pieces to use. I wanted to have a bird in each corner.
These "tools" were invaluable: a homemade template of the corner block and a packet of kebab sticks...
got you guessing?
I only had one template so the kebab sticks just marked possible placements before drawing/cutting - bit crude but it worked a treat:
|Only two large birds on the piece of fabric, and a few littlies|
Next - the Applique basket :
I have substituted a different yellow for the base as the one in the pack is a little "muddy" for me.
The red top of the basket (and flowers) is all one piece of fabric cut from the border print - very clever use of the fabric I thought - well done Froncie!
|Basket cut from border fabric - ready to needle turn applique|
I cut pieces out of the floral fabric and some of the individual flowers from the border print and dithered around with placement - fun to do but took a while. Then I tacked them down very roughly with large stitches :
Bit of a tentative placement - might change a bit as I sew. There are 12 seperate pieces of fabric tacked on there so this could be fiddly with the needleturn applique! Wish me luck...
|Tacking stitch placement ready to applique|